This is possibly my favourite snack of all times. Having a sweat tooth, if I’m not careful I can find myself craving deserts and biscuits to dunk into Tea – this little gem of a recipe keeps the cravings at bay. Originally found in the Deliciously Ella recipe book I’ve kind of adapted as I’ve gone along dependant on the ingredients I have to hand. Feel free to do the same. Word of warning – very moorish, so don’t eat all 10 balls in one day!
No cooking time required, but they’re best when they’ve been refrigerated for a couple of hours before eating.
Ingredients (I always ‘thereabouts’ ingredients)
2 x tablespoons of raw cacao
2 x tablespoons of Almond Butter
Large handful of chopped pitted dates
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
100-200g of Almonds
Chia Seeds optional
- Put the Almonds into a powerful blender and blend until flour
- Add the chopped pitted dates and blend some more
- Then add the Almond Butter, Raw Cacao & Coconut Oil. Blend again until you get a sticky substance. There’s no science. Too dry and add a little more oil or almond butter. Too soft and add more ground almonds
- Note you sometimes have to stop and spoon the mixture around before blending again. You want it like soft putty
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and roll around 1 large tablespoon in the palm (of a clean!) hand
- Roll the ball around to coat in desiccated coconut and place in tupperware for refrigeration
- Cool for a couple of hours (if you can wait that long!) before eating
I sometimes have one at 6am with a banana and coffee as I head out to teach clients, as I find it too hard to sit and eat breakfast at this time. However, these are great as a snack during the day after your workout or as a treat after your meal if you don’t want to feel like you’ve missed out.